Gary Neville: Manchester United legend admits he made some ‘stupid mistakes’ while in charge of Valencia

Gary Neville: Manchester United legend admits he made some ‘stupid mistakes’ while in charge of Valencia
Gary Neville has admitted he made some stupid mistakes during his ill-fated spell in charge of Valencia.The Sky Sports pundit turned his back on his broadcasting career to try his hand at management.Gary Neville lasted just four months in charge of Valencia2
Gary Neville lasted just four months in charge of Valencia
The Manchester United legend, who also worked as an assistant coach under Roy Hodgson for England, had turned down various offers before finally accepting the challenge at the Mestalla.Id turned down jobs in the Premier League and Championship and said to myself I wasnt going to be a manager, Neville told the Blank Podcast.When I finished my playing career I said Id follow three paths; broadcast, the businesses Im involved with and coaching.Actually I should never really have pursued the coaching and you have to really immerse yourself in that every second of every day.“But I thought Ill get my badges as I love football.He continued: Then Roy [Hodgson] rang me up and said would you be part of my coaching staff [for England] and because it enabled me to continue my broadcasting and my business career I thought actually this fits.“It was a part-time role with England.The Manchester United favourite, left, also spent time working in England’s coaching team under Roy Hodgson2
The Manchester United favourite, left, also spent time working in England’s coaching team under Roy Hodgson
I had a four-year plan and four-year contracts with England and Sky.I was six months away from the end of that plan when my business partner who owns Valencia Football Club, who were having a really bad season, said, can you just take it for me until the end of the season.Its the only thing Ive never planned… and I said yes.I kick myself to this day, not for saying yes, but for the mistakes that I made. They were stupid mistakes.Not taking over an experienced staff with me that spoke English and Spanish was a bad mistake, it was naive.Neville says his failure to get to grips with the power struggle at the club was another reason why he failed to succeed at the La Liga club.Not then changing the squad slightly just to gain a bit of authority and control,” Neville cites as another of the errors he made. There was a couple of players there I should have moved out of the club, which would have established a bit of authority to them. Hang on he has got some power to do something here. Hes in for five months but if we dont play ball he can damage us.What I tried to do was pick up a rocky ship and just drift into shore rather than really grab the reins, have a strong leadership with me and also make sure that I got rid of what would be people who were making it choppy.“I made some mistakes and they were all mine.I couldnt communicate with the players and the club was difficult but they were excuses.“I knew I couldnt communicate with the players and I knew the club was difficult, I knew the dressing room was divided.“I knew it was a difficult time in the club, I knew theyd sacked 15 managers in 13 years. I knew I was going to get criticised.

Gundogan’s future is in doubt

Notts County owner apologises for 'anatomy' tweet - then puts club up for sale Alan Hardy deletes a tweet containing an "inappropriate photo" but denies that is why he is putting Notts County on
Notts County owner accidentally tweets inappropriate image

Anderson wants to win titles with the Hammers

Jurgen Klopp has said that he was not worried for a single second about the form of Mohamed Salah after he seemingly returned to form with a bang at the weekend. There have been a few question marks over the Egyptian this year, who has failed to repeat his sensational goalscoring exploits of last season after he scored 32 goals in the Premier
Klopp: I was never worried about Mohamed Salah's form

Bale, who joined Real for 85m in 2013, has scored 102 goals in 231 appearances for the club, but is no longer rated by fans

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been alarmed at Anthony Martial's attitude in training and will reportedly look to offload him in the summer despite signing a new 5-year deal in January this year.
Anthony Martial: Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says

Aguero was the main attraction at the Etihad on Sunday

For the latest news on Manchester City FC, including scores, fixtures, results, form guide & league position, visit the official website of the Premier League.
Premier League stats: How many more records can Manchester

The Kop howled for a penalty but Martin Atkinson was not convinced when Keita was felled in the box

Arsenal scout Brazilian wonderkid SIX times as Gunners 'eye January move' Ramires, an 18-year-old midfielder for Bahia, is also attracting interest from Atletico Madrid Transfer news live
Arsenal scout Brazilian wonderkid six times with January

The wing backs can bomb up and down knowing they are covered

Anthony Martial: Man Utd forward signs new contract until 2024 By Ekow Amoasi January 31, 2019 55 No comment Anthony Martial has signed a contract extension with Manchester United which will keep him at the club until June 2024, with the option to extend for a further year.
Anthony Martial signs new Manchester United contract worth £

Mason was a Spurs player from 2008-16

Premier League results: Liverpool and Chelsea win again, Man City go third BBC Sport Liverpool and Chelsea maintained their 100% starts to the Premier League season on Saturday, while Manchester City thumped Fulham to move into third place. Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool beat an out-of-sorts Tottenham at Wembley, before Eden Hazard
RTÉ Ireland's National Television and Radio Broadcaster

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is a big fan of 18-year-old Jadon Sancho

Who has toughest Championship run-in? Leeds United, Aston Villa and Sheffield United fixtures assessed. Fixtures ahead of final three games of the Championship season and role Stoke City can play
Carlos Corberan might have just given Leeds United fans a big

Luca Zidane made his first competitive start as Real Madrid scraped to a 3-2 win

Manchester United given Jadon Sancho update by Borussia Dortmund amid transfer speculation. Man Utd are interested in the former Manchester City winger and Borussia Dortmund have given an update
Man Utd transfer news: Jadon Sancho latest as David De Gea

Oxlade-Chamberlain’s injury ruled him out of the Champions League final and the World Cup

Manchester United 2017/18 'kits' leaked. The new home shirt is likely to be released in July in time for the pre-season tour of the United States, when the Reds will face local rivals
New England Nike kit: 'Leaked' image of rumoured home shirt

Paul Pogba has been rejuvenated under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Portugal 3-1 Switzerland: Cristiano Ronaldo bags stunning hat-trick in Nations League Christian Eriksen opens door to £100m Real Madrid transfer with worrying Tottenham quotes Eden Hazard: Real Madrid agree £88.5m fee with Chelsea to FINALLY sign star Celtic handed major George Baldock boost as Sheffield United ace wants transfer talks

No comments:

Post a Comment